1 Completion of a baccalaureate degree (Science, Nursing, Health Science recommended) from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States, prior to matriculation.
2. Documentation of the following – Overall college cumulative GPA of a minimum of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, completion of all prerequisite coursework with a cumulative GPA of a minimum of 2.75, and completion of all science prerequisite coursework with a cumulative GPA of a minimum of 2.75.
Scoring will be assigned on a graduated scale:
Advantage: higher overall GPAs will receive higher standing within the admission process.
3. It is preferred that applicants obtain patient care experience, sufficient to recognize the physical and psychological demands of dealing with patients and to appreciate the challenges and rewards of being a health care professional. Health care experiences should provide the applicant with a knowledge and/or orientation to the signs and symptoms of a variety of ill or injured patients. Health care experiences will be evaluated on an individual basis, with an emphasis on direct patient care.
Advantage: While there is no minimum requirement, higher overall patient care, shadowing and volunteer patient care hours, will receive higher standing.
4. Completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). The GRE code for The School of Physician Assistant Studies is: South College, Nashville: 4148 (Each section of the GRE is evaluated separately. Scoring will be assigned on a graduated scale; higher GRE scores will be assigned higher standing).
5. 3 Letters of Recommendation – One from a healthcare professional such as a Physician (MD or DO), Physician Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner (Scoring will be assigned on a graduated scale).
6. Each applicant is required to compose a personal statement on CASPA expressing his or her desire to become a Physician Assistant. Each personal statement will be reviewed and scored, based on the following: Grammar, Clarity of Expression, Creativity, Understanding of PA role and expressed interest in primary care and/or underserved populations.
7. Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association is required upon matriculating in the program. (BLS classes will be offered during orientation) Most clinical sites do not recognize other institutions. NO SUBSTITUTIONS ARE ALLOWED.
8. In order for your application to be processed, we must receive the following items:
- Verified CASPA application that includes:
- Official GRE Scores
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Completion of the PA Supplemental Application and fee (see admission application for details and a link).
Additional Information for All Applicants:
- Applicants who have completed a bachelor or masters degree through South College and meet our minimum admissions requirements, will be granted an interview (pending seat availability).
- Applicants who hold United States military veteran or active duty status will be advantaged in the scoring of their initial application.