1 Completion of a baccalaureate degree (Science, Nursing, Health Science recommended) from a regionally accredited college or university in the United States, prior to matriculation.
2. Documentation of the following – Overall college cumulative GPA of a minimum of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale, completion of all prerequisite coursework with a cumulative GPA of a minimum of 2.75, and completion of all science prerequisite coursework with a cumulative GPA of a minimum of 2.75.
3. Applicants are encouraged to obtain patient care experience, sufficient to recognize the physical and psychological demands of dealing with patients and to appreciate the challenges and rewards of being a health care professional. Health care experiences should provide the applicant with a knowledge and/or orientation to the signs and symptoms of a variety of ill or injured patients. Health care experiences will be evaluated on an individual basis, with an emphasis on direct patient care.
4. South College recognizes the many sacrifices made by members of the United States Armed Services. The program also recognizes that many skills important to the practice of medicine are developed and honed during one’s military service. Thus, higher standing will be granted on the application to veteran candidates.
5. In order for your application to be processed, we must receive the following items:
Verified South College Asheville application that includes:
- Official GRE Scores (see #6 for more details)
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- 3 letters of recommendation – one letter must be from a clinician (Physician Assistant (PA), Medical Doctor (MD), Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO), or Nurse Practitioner (NP))
- Application fee (see admission application for details and a link)
6. Completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). The GRE code for The School of Physician Assistant Studies is: South College – Asheville: 5009
We do not accept MCAT scores as a substitute for GRE scores.
7. Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BLS) from the American Heart Association is required upon matriculating in the program. NO SUBSTITUTIONS ARE ALLOWED.
- Human Anatomy and Physiology I and II with laboratory (minimum of 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours)
- General Chemistry I and II with laboratory (minimum of 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours)
- Biology I and II with laboratory (Mammalian, Cell, Molecular, or Human Biology). Upper Level Mammalian, Cell, Molecular, or Human Biology may be substituted for Biology II. Minimum of 8 Semester or 12 quarter hours.
- Microbiology with lab (minimum of 4 semester hours or 6 quarter hours)
- English (Minimum of 6 semester hours or 8 quarter hours)
- Statistics, Algebra, Calculus, Finite Math, or other equivalent Advanced Mathematics (minimum of 6 semester hours or 8 quarter hours)
- Humanities and/or Social Science (minimum of 6 semester hours or 8 quarter hour)
Selection for the Physician Assistant program is very competitive. It is anticipated that the successful applicant will generally exceed the minimum criteria for consideration for admission.
Applications are reviewed relative to undergraduate cumulative and pre-requisite course GPAs, health care experience (military or civilian), letters of recommendation, GRE scores, shadowing hours, attainment of Master’s or Doctoral degree, and completion of recommended coursework in addition to prerequisites. Strongly suggested courses include genetics, immunology, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, and other advanced biology or chemistry courses. Additional consideration is given to veteran applicants, particularly those with military medical experience. Personal interviews with the principal Physician Assistant faculty and clinicians from the community will be required for final admission and will be offered only to the most qualified individuals.
For any admissions questions not answered by our website, please contact us at:
South College Asheville
Physician Assistant Studies
Attn: PA Admissions
140 Sweeten Creek Road
Asheville, NC 28803