What You’ll Learn
Surgical technologists are the surgeon’s right hand, serving as an essential part of the surgical team and helping to save lives.
The South College Associate of Science in Surgical Technology program is designed to provide students with training to help care for patients, prepare surgical supplies, maintain aseptic conditions before and during surgery, and assist surgeons during surgical procedures. Coursework include classroom and clinical hours.
In the AS in Surgical Technology program, you’ll work to build a foundation of knowledge and skills including:
- Learn surgical procedures & clinical care
- Familiarize yourself with the uses and effects of pharmaceutical drugs
- Provide care that is respectful of individual patient preferences, needs, and values
- Position, prep, and drape a patient
- Become aware of sterilization procedures and the importance of keeping surgical areas clean
- Get to know the role of microorganisms in the environment and how they affect our lives
- Run lab tests and interpret the results of those tests