Graduates completing the Associate of Science in Respiratory Therapy will accomplish the following outcomes:
- Acquire knowledge necessary to enter the Respiratory Therapy profession.
- Demonstrate appropriate critical thinking skills, time management skills, interpersonal communication skills, and technical skills necessary to provide competent respiratory care in multidisciplinary care settings.
- Demonstrate the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective skills necessary to assist the physician in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of patients with cardiopulmonary diseases and disorders.
- Demonstrate knowledge and comprehension of patient safety and infection control protocols as they relate to patient care and equipment processing.
- Demonstrate the ability to modify the respiratory care plan of patients based on information gathered from clinical and laboratory assessment and the patient’s response to therapy.
- Apply the skills necessary to assemble, maintain, troubleshoot, and perform quality control of specific respiratory therapy devices.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills as consultants to physicians and other health care personnel in developing and implementing clinical respiratory care strategies.
- Demonstrate effective written and oral communication skills.