Distance Education Students FAQ
1. Who is eligible for South College Library’s distance education services?
Students who are currently enrolled exclusively in South College distance education classes and who live 40 or more miles outside of Knoxville, Asheville, or Nashville are eligible to use the library’s distance education services.
2. What distance education delivery services does South College Library provide for eligible students?
The South College Library will send qualified students requested books and articles from journals included in the library’s collections, with the exception of e-books or e-journal articles that students can download themselves from the library’s catalog or databases. The South College Library will also send qualtified students books and journal articles requested through the library’s interlibrary loan services. DVDs are not included in distance education delivery services.
3. What must I do to register for library services?
All students must fill out a Library Account form that will be made available during orientation. Library staff will check with the Registrar every quarter to assess eligibility for distance education services and will update that status on your library account.
4. How do I request delivery of materials from South College Library’s collections?
To request delivery of a print book or a print journal article from the library’s collections, go to the Interlibrary Loan section of the library’s web page and open the link to either the journal article or book request form. Complete all required fields. Use this same form to request interlibrary loan materials from other libraries. Filling out the forms correctly will help staff process requests without delays.
5. How are journal articles and books delivered?
Journal articles from print journals are scanned and delivered electronically to your South College email account. Books (South College Library and interlibrary loan) are sent by FedEx to your home address at no charge. FedEx will not send materials to Post Office boxes. Books will be checked out to your library account on the day of shipment and will be due back to the South College Library in three weeks from that date.
6. How do I return delivered books to the library?
You must return both South College Library and interlibrary loaned books at your own expense to South College by using a trackable and insured method such as FedEx, UPS, or the U.S. Postal Service insured mail. Borrowers will be financially responsible for any lost materials.
7. How do I view what I have checked out from South College Library’s collections?
To view your Destiny catalog library account, you must request a login and a password that the library staff will add to your account. You may contact library staff at 865-251-1832 or send an email to email@example.com for assistance.
8. How do I contact a librarian if I need help with my research or with my library account?
For research assistance please contact the library at 865-251-1832 or send an email firstname.lastname@example.org.
9. How to I request help with my library account?
If you are having trouble accessing the your program resources on the Library Resource Site, please submit a Help Desk ticket.
10. Do you offer proctoring services at any library?
The Library Department does not offer proctoring services at this time.