Dental Assisting Mission and Goals
Through quality, comprehensive, evidence-based education, patient-centered clinical and community outreach experiences, the mission of the South College Dental Assisting program is to equip future dental assistants with the skills necessary to become a valuable member of the dental care team.
Program Goals and Expected Outcomes
Dental Assisting graduates will:
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills, and competence of an entry-level Dental Assistant.
- Demonstrate patient education skills.
- Effectively communicate with patients and members of the dental team.
- Demonstrate office administrative and management skills.
- Utilize infection control, radiation safety, HIPPA requirements, and emergency protocol to protect self and the public.
- Display high ethical and moral standards, integrity, and professionalism as a member of society and the dental team.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving, and decision-making skills within the scope of dental assisting.
- Promote Dental Health ideals through service to the community and involvement with professional organizations.
- Successfully complete the State of Tennessee Certifications in Radiology, Coronal Polishing, Sealants Application, and Nitrous Oxide Monitoring.
- Successfully complete the Dental Assisting National Board Examination.