From the Chancellor: Important Update Regarding COVID-19
The health of all South College students and staff is top of mind and our utmost priority.
South College has been monitoring and assessing the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and will continue to take appropriate actions to support the safety of our community.
The following protocols have been implemented at South College to keep its campuses safe and clean:
- Building Entry Screening Process: Temperature checks are required for entry to a campus. An individual who has a temperature at 100.4 ◦F (per CDC Guidelines) will not be permitted to enter any building. In addition, if the answer is “Yes” to any of the following questions, the individual will not be permitted to enter the building. These questions will also be asked at the time of entry.
- Have you been asked by a medical professional to self-quarantine within the last 14 days?
- Have you had 10 minutes or more of face-to-face contact without personal protective equipment (PPE) with anyone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past two weeks?
- Do you currently have any COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, cough, or difficulty breathing?
- Is there any reason that you might think that you could be jeopardizing the health of any citizen at present due to exposure to the COVID-19 virus?
- Face Mask Requirement: All students, faculty, staff, and visitors are required to wear a mask while on campus. Faculty are permitted to remove their masks while teaching as long as students remain more than 6 feet away.
- Building Sanitization Process: The campus buildings, including the labs, offices, restrooms, classrooms, are cleaned and sanitized using commercial sanitizer machines throughout the day. Hand sanitizer stations have been installed throughout each of the campuses.
- Monitoring and Contact Tracing Process: South College has implemented a monitoring and contract tracing process that follows the Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines to manage students and employees who have COVID-19 or who have come in close contact with those who have COVID-19.
Thank you for your cooperation and flexibility as we remain committed to the safety and cleanliness of our South College community. South College will continue to monitor the impact of COVID-19 and provide updates to students and staff, as needed.
Coronavirus and COVID-19 Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization
- Tennessee Department of Health
- North Carolina Department of Health
While there are currently no vaccines available to prevent COVID-19 infection, the CDC recommends typical infectious disease precautions, such as those used to prevent cold or flu:
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- If no water is available, use hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol base.
- Cough/sneeze into a tissue, throw it into a trash bin and wash your hands.
- If no tissue is available cough/sneeze into the crook of your elbow.
- Avoid physical contact such as shaking hands and avoid touching your face or rubbing your eyes.
- Avoid sharing food, crockery, utensils and personal hygiene items.
- Stay home if you are ill (except to visit a health care professional) and avoid contact with others.
- Get adequate sleep and eat well-balanced meals to ensure a healthy immune system.
- Routinely clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
Students should refer to https://www.south.edu/ for more information.